"Vanity and pride are different things, though the words are often used synonymously. A person may be proud without being vain. Pride relates more to our opinion of ourselves, vanity to what we would have others think of us."

Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Very Polite New Yorkers & Purell


Yesterday, while standing on Broadway and squirting a dollop of Purell into my left palm from a tiny bottle of the potion in my right hand, I was approached from behind by two young men (late teens to early 20’s) who softly asked “Excuse me Mr, could you spare some Purell?” From their speech patterns I was under the strong impression that they were NOT of the Columbia academic community.

Had I thought that they were, the episode wouldn’t have been memorable. But because I believed they were not…I was extremely impressed and in fact flattered to be asked by these polite New Yorkers! “Of course, why of course… certainly…” I said as I unleashed copious quantities into their open hands.

Two week back in NYC and I already had what I put in my diary as “a Frasier Crane (the famous psychologist) moment but instead of cinnamon in a coffee house, i dealt with sterilizing agent on a big NYC street”. Funny huh!

No comments: