"Vanity and pride are different things, though the words are often used synonymously. A person may be proud without being vain. Pride relates more to our opinion of ourselves, vanity to what we would have others think of us."

Monday, May 2, 2011

Young gov leaders: Love them or lose them

Hence I am growing ancient-with ancient inner feeling. I would love to watch thee leading their way to govern this government! Not from scandal, but with dignity and knowledge they posses and experience they learn from us, the great leader! (who-wanna-puke!)

For me this is kinda Aristotle-Plato thingy! but I simple cut the philosophy part and being practical about it!

It's easy to look at the younger generation - with their high expectations and big demands - and scoff, Yes they have so much to learn, but they also have a lot to give.

After spending some time last week at the Next Generation of Government Summit by the social networking site ops! classified- and by the professional organization Young Government Leaders, I was left thinking how strong our government will be if we effectively harness the intelligence, creativity, drive and ethusiasm of this up-and-coming group of employees.

The fact is we need tofind ways to make young government leaders stay and grow in government, I have five ideas for retaining younger employees while grooming them to lead:

  1. Focus on the firsts - these are important milestone for every employee, Make a checklist for each of these firsts
  2. keep them inspired -keep that fire lit, not only with words of wisdom, but making sure they know exactly how their work fits in to your mission.
  3. Tap their brains - Mark my bloody words, if you don't keep your younger employees challenged and on their intellectual toes, you will lose them. Asking them for new ideas, feedback and to engage in problem-solving will help everyone. They will be excited about their work, and I -(the bloody master) benefit from their fresh perspective and energy.
  4. Show them the path to leadership - Younger people today are restless and are not afraid to take risks and seek new opportunities. Help stem the turnover tide by showing them exactly how they can advance. If you can get them excited by the challenge of making it to the next level, you will keep them on board and they will work harder.
  5. Pair them up- Always Create a fulfilling experience for everyone by pairing interested, long -term employees with newbies.
By the time I am writing this, my hubby is getting better and he deserve my best interest for I am taking a month off from my jobs! Million Thanks to my support staff.

Nothing can define a great love for such a scarification and I am telling this to my staff. Job, The Company, friends will leave you but not your true love!

Happy springtime!

1 comment:

Nik_TheGreek said...

Enjoy your month off with your husband!
Happy Spring!